[b-greek] Re: Easter at Acts 12:4 - Astarte ?

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 06:45:21 EDT

<x-flowed>
At 05:59 17/04/01, Wes Williams wrote:

>am unable to find a direct connection between the names Easter and Astarte.
>I was wondering if someone knew of some insightful research on the subject
>while staying focused on the language issue.

from the Shorter Oxford:

OE eastre, pl. eastron (also eastro, -a) = OFris. asteron, OHG ostarun (G
Ostern pl.) app. f. Eostre Northumb. var. of Eastre, a goddess whose feast
was celebrated at the vernal equinox, f. Gmc, cogn. w. Skt usra dawn.

[ OHG = Old High German; Gmc = Germanic ]

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie