[b-greek] Re: Hebrew or Greek? 2

From: Roe (d.roe@t-online.de)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 19:30:07 EDT

Glen L Naftaniel schrieb:

[snip]

> Here is the letter:
>
> Many people say the NT was WRITTEN in Greek. [snip]
> Linguists who have studied it out have almost unanimously
> concluded that most of it was not originally in Greek. The
> four "gospels" were originally written in Hebrew. This is
> evidenced by the low linguistic quality of the Greek
> manuscripts... [snip] It is also evidenced by the use of
> Hebrew parables, figures of speech, idiomatic expressions...

Hi Glen,

While this is not a topic relevant to B-Greek... it is interesting
nonetheless.

The NT was written by people whose mother tongue was Hebrew. I, having a
mother tongue of English, have lived and "functioned" in Germany for 10
years now. When I write in German, you will find English figures of
speech and English idiomatic expressions.

IMO, it is the influence of the mother tongue which has caused the
Hebrewisms found in the NT. Dutillet's Matthew can not be proven to
have "survived to this day" from a first-century origin.

Kind regards,

David

D.W. Roe
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany