[b-greek] Re: Greek or Hebrew?

From: Jack Kilmon (jkilmon@historian.net)
Date: Sat Apr 21 2001 - 00:36:17 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Puluka" <spuluka@hotmail.com>
To: "Biblical Greek" <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2001 5:09 PM
Subject: [b-greek] Re: Greek or Hebrew?

Gospel.
> The references are not clear as to which direction the translation would
> have been. I don't have the reference handy, but if you are interested I
> can dig it out over the next week.

No, there is a citation of Papias by Eusebius of Matthew's Logia in the
"Hebrew Language" which, btw, Aramaic was called at the time.

> I am not aware of any other evidence of Hebrew originals for the rest of
the
> New Testament. Contrary to your forwarded message, most scholars dismiss
> the idea of the NT being a translation from Hebrew.

I am not even convinced the Matthean scribe was competent in Hebrew OR
Aramaic. It certainly would be curious why Paul of Tarsus would write
lletters
to Corinth in Hebrew. Even most of the population of Palestine wouldn't
understand it.

Jack