[b-greek] Re: Original NT in Greek?(wordplay)

From: Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Apr 25 2001 - 08:11:24 EDT

At 02:46 PM 4/24/01 -0400, Randall Buth wrote:
>Probably refers to the two "classics": "rock" and "love".
>On 'rock' see David Bivin in Jerusalem Perspective arguing for Petros as a
>loan-word/name. And Yes, the wordplay was possible in Mishnaic Hebrew, even
>attested in rabbinic literature.

In the Shem-Tov Hebrew version of Matthew there is the word
play between "even" (stone) and "evneh" (build) in Matthew
16. This indicates to me that word play is not necessarily
dispositive of whether a text is in its original language
or translated.

Stephen Carlson
--
Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@mindspring.com