[b-greek] Re: Greek/normal speed

From: Randall Buth (ButhFam@compuserve.com)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 07:05:06 EDT

Message text written by c stirling bartholomew

>Sounds good to me. I can read Shakespeare just fine without being able to
>carry on a conversation in Shakespearean English.<

And you also understand the language at normal speeds of communication.
For English, I probably should have dropped "Shakespearian" from the
comparison.

All I want of Greek students
is to recognize that knowing a language, like English
or Greek, or German or Hebrew, does not mean being able to say
"3xmyg, meaning 'verb' in its fourth function",

it means being able to follow the thought in the language itself at natural
speeds.
which implies being able to paraphrase in the same language
without much further thought as well.

That is what scholars will find useful for rummaging around in first
century texts and
and that is what readers will find useful to be able to sit back and enjoy
the read.

And anything less does not qualify as 'knowing a language' in most parts of
the
world when sitting down to discuss whatever over a cup of coffee.

DIA O LEGW TOIS MAQHTAIS MOU
OTI OU GINWSKW THN ELLHNIKHN GLWSSAN
ALLA MANQANW AUTHN

ERRWSO