[b-greek] RE: Speaking greek

From: Ken Smith (kens@180solutions.com)
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 17:31:19 EDT

<x-html>
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=us-ascii">
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 6.0.4417.0">
<TITLE>RE: [b-greek] Speaking greek</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Out of curiosity, why do you consider the modern Greek pronunciation to be easier than the Erasmian?&nbsp; I grant that since it is connected to a living language, those who use it because of their connection to that language will probably have a much more fluent, &quot;life-like&quot; accent than those (like myself) for whom Greek (alas!) remains primarily a matter of reading NT texts.&nbsp; But I don't see how it's &quot;easier&quot;.&nbsp; Indeed, because so many different vowels and diphthongs are pronounced identically (hOI=OI=hH=H=Hi=U=I=AI, etc.), I frequently find it rather confusing.&nbsp; Eventually you get used to it, and you're able to tell from context whether &quot;tees eemerees&quot; is &quot;of the day&quot; (THS hHMERHS)or &quot;in the days&quot; (TAIS hHMERAIS), but it certainly seems to call for more discrimination and skill than the same phrase read in the Erasmian pronunciation.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Ken Smith</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>-----Original Message-----</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>From: Sam Johnson [<A HREF="mailto:jfamily5@prodigy.net">mailto:jfamily5@prodigy.net</A>] </FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2001 2:00 PM</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>To: Biblical Greek</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Cc: buthfam@compuserve.com</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Subject: [b-greek] Speaking greek</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>I have done quite a bit of research on this and the evidence points to modern Greek being the closest to Koine. Robertson mentions this in his grammer and even makes a claim that the Greek spoken today is closer to the Koine in spite of the time span. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>My greek teacher who was from Athens loved to tell the story about his mother who could read his New Testament even though she only knew modern Greek. I have learned the pronunciation of modern Greek and it is much easier than using the erasmusian. I hope many of you will consider learning modern Greek pronunciation. I have communicated with a well known Greek scholar and he told me &quot;that modern Greek comes as close to any model we have for how it was actually pronounced in ancient times&quot;. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>In His Grip,</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Sam Johnson</FONT>
</P>
<BR>