Re: [b-greek] Omicron Omega Nu?

From: Roe (d.roe@t-online.de)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 18:44:10 EDT

Jonathan Robie forwarded:

> >in one of its stained glass windows that contains a triangle within which are
> >the three Greek letters Omicron Omega Nu. We cannot determine the symbolism
> >for the three letters, although there are several explanations for the
> >triangle.

Hi Jonathan,

It seems that these letters are on an icon at the Vatopedi Monastery in
Greece. Apparently on the "Virgin of Vatopedi" or "Mother of Consolation"
(dating perhaps from the 12th century), is found on Jesus' halo a cross
with the Greek letters omicron, omega, nu, "spelling 'HO ON.' In English,
this becomes 'Who Am,' the name used for God in Exodus 3:14..."

See:

http://www.stlouisparish.org/html/adventicon.htm

BTW... thanks for the site, Jonathan!

David