[b-greek] Re: Enclitics

From: Clwinbery@aol.com
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 17:22:32 EDT

In a message dated 7/6/01 7:03:17 PM, RStauch@worldnet.att.net writes:

>I am creating a soft copy of 1 Clement (to the Corinthians - using GP Goold,
>Ed., Apostolic Fathers I, Loeb Classical Library, Harvard UP, 1985), and
>last night [at XVI:15a: KAI\ PA/LIN AU'TO/S FHSIN: ktl - acute "/", grave
>"\"] I came across FHSIN (a form of FHMI), and it caused me to stop
>momentarily looking for an accent. I looked in the NT and LXX for it, and
>found it often does not take one. Also, searching on AUTOS, I note it
>usually takes a grave, unless it is followed by an enclitic (for instance,
>ESTIN, MOU), where it changes to acute. So, when I come across a word
>without an accent (having proved my imperfection in this list, I know I
>should ask rather than assume), should I automatically think "enclitic?" Is
>FHMI an enclitic? I looked in BAGD and HG Liddell, but they do not remark on
>this question. Is there another accent rule, or other rule that affects
>accentuation similarly?

Richard, Two verbs have some of their forms as enclitics (different from
proclitics). All forms of EIMI except the second singular and all forms of
FHMI except the second singular (FHiS - does not occur in the GNT). There are
other enclitics (TIS, MOU, MOI, ME, SOU, SOI, SE, TE, GE, POU, POTE, and
PWS). Enclitics have special rules of accent, depending on the accentuation
of the preceding word or whether the enclitic comes first in the clause.

A good morphology will give rules of accent. Two have been mentioned on this
list several times, Mounce from Zondervan and Brooks and Winbery from Univ.
Press. of Am.

Carlton Winbery
Louisiana College
Clwinbery@aol.com