[b-greek] Re: Fwd: Re: Plain Text ASCII vs. Styled Text in AOL

From: CWestf5155@aol.com
Date: Sat Jul 07 2001 - 09:37:41 EDT

<x-html>
<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>Carl,
<BR>
<BR>In a message dated 7/6/01 3:03:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
<BR>cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu writes:
<BR>
<BR>
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">As most list-members are aware, we have been urging list-members to avoid
<BR>using styled text or MIME text styles in messages to the list, for the
<BR>primary reason that every such message appears in duplicate in the daily
<BR>Digest format in which many members receive list messages; such duplicates
<BR>are not simply twice as long but sometimes as much as 3x as long because
<BR>the second part is set in HTML coding. Several new list-members have
<BR>recently told me that they can't write messages in plain-text in AOL and
<BR>that the AOL advisers have not been at all helpful. I'm re-sending this
<BR>message from Jay Adkins in February of this year, hoping it may be helpful
<BR>to some who are having that difficulty.
<BR>
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">
<BR>
<BR>My text is apparently as plain as it gets, and I believe that you are still
<BR>getting a duplicate. &nbsp;Of course the length is significantly increased if I
<BR>change my font or add any feature. &nbsp;The only way that I was told that I can
<BR>control this is by logging on to the web page--if I write from the e-mail on
<BR>the AOL web page, it will print in plain text. &nbsp;However, I think that I'd
<BR>have to use another server to log on to the web page, which I don't have at
<BR>home. &nbsp;&nbsp;
<BR>
<BR>Cindy Westfall
<BR>Assistant Professor
<BR>Colorado Christian University
<BR></FONT>
---<BR>
B-Greek home page: http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek>
You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: [
jwrobie@mindspring.com]<BR>