[b-greek] Re: Tamieion Tamieia

From: Richard Allan Stauch (RStauch@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 20:08:09 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: B. D. Colt [mailto:babc@ix.netcom.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2001 4:18 PM
>On 10 Jul 01, at 17:48, SPAWN OF A JEWISH CARPENTER: wrote:
>> Job 9:9 uses the word TAMIEIA and the phrase TAMIEIA VOTOU is
>> variously translated "constellations of the south" and "Mansions of
>> the south" and "chambers of the south" and "inner parts of the south."
>> What exactly does TAMIEION mean? BibleWorks says it means "hidden,
>> secret room." Is Constellation a dynamic translation of this word?
>Cindy, BAGD gives for TAMIEION 'a hidden, secret room' and for
>NOTOU, 'south wind.' Now what a "secret room of the south wind
>might mean I'm sure I don't know.

Barbara and Cindy,

In Job 9:9b, NOTOU is the genitive of NOTOS, so it would be "of the south,"
not "south wind." TAMIEIA, the older form of TAMEION (contracted in later
times), is plural. The common translation would be correct: "chambers" or
"secret rooms". Taken together, KAI TAMIEIA NOTOU is properly translated by
all of my English texts as "and the chambers of the south." This Greek text
is translated, of course, from the Hebrew "VHedery teyman", which indeed
means "and the chambers (of the) south." I might have shortened it (since it
lacks articles) as "and southern sancta."

But, what do I know? ;)

Richard Allan Stauch
Long Beach, CA