[b-greek] RE: ESTIN with plural subject

From: Iver Larsen (iver_larsen@sil.org)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 04:01:02 EDT

From: Iver Larsen
> From: Richard Ghilardi [mailto:qodeshlayhvh@juno.com]
> Dear b-greekers,
>
> TIM. A' 1:20 -- hWN ESTIN hUMENAIOS KAI ALEXANDROS...
>
> TIM. B' 2:17 -- ... hWN ESTIN hUMENAIOS KAI FILHTOS
>
> My question is: why is the verb singular while the compound subject is
> plural? Are hUMENAIOS, ALEXANDROS and FILHTOS the names of one person?
> Are they considered one because they promote the same heresy?

My feeling is that this is more a matter of semantics than syntax alone. If
a subject is considered a semantic unit for one reason or another, it
appears to be possible to express that nuance by choosing a singular form of
the verb.

It is not uncommon to have a singular verb form in connection with a
compound subject or a subject that grammatically is plural, but semantically
a singular unit. A few of these involve ESTIN. A word final ESTIN is often
left implicit, since the word final position is the most redundant in the
sentence, and if the verb is implicit, one cannot see whether the singular
or plural would have been used.

A couple of examples:
Luke 11:21 EN EIRHNi ESTIN TA hUPARCONTA AUTOU his possessions is/are in
peace
John 7:7 TA ERGA AUTOU PONHRA ESTIN its works is/are evil
Col 2:17 hA ESTIN SKIA TWN MELLONTWN which things is/are a shadow of the
coming things

John 12:22 ERCETAI ANDREAS KAI FILIPPOS KAI LEGOUSIN - comes Andrew and
Philip and say
John 19:34 EXHLTEN EUQUS hAIMA KAI hUDWR - comes immediately blood and water
Acts 2:42 POLLA TE TERATA KAI SHMEIA EGINETO - and many miracles and signs
happened.sing
Acts 3:6 ARGURION KAI CRUSION OUC hUPARCEI MOI - silver and gold is not to
me
Acts 13:11 EPESEN EP' AUTON ACLUS KAI SKOTOS - mist and darkness fell.sing
upon him

The singular form is often "explained" from a purely morphological
viewpoint, namely that a plural neuter subject is connected with a singular
verb form. I would prefer a semantic explanation, and it is often the case
that a plural neuter form represents a semantically unified idea.
There are also cases where a plural neuter subject refers to separate
semantic units and is followed by the plural of EIMI, e.g.

Rev 4:5 hA EISIN TA hEPTA PNEUMATA TOU QEOU
Matt 13:38 TA DE ZIZANIA EISIN hOI hUIOI TOU PONEROU - the weeds are the
sons of the evil one
1 Cor 14:10 TOSAUTA EI TUCOI GENH FWNWN EISIN EN KOSMWi

Iver Larsen