[b-greek] Re: Luke 6:12b

From: Iver Larsen (iver_larsen@sil.org)
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 03:58:07 EDT

> Ken, I am only a first year Greek student in my undergraduate work;
> however, I found your question interesting and some possible solutions
> unsatisfying. Wallace (1996) on page 117 writes in italics that "an
> objective genitive can only occur with verbal nouns which imply a
> transitive verb." He then, in note 126, explains that Luke 6:12 seems to
> be an exception to the rule. He concludes that the meaning is indeed
> "prayer to God" and the genative is objective eventhough it follows an
> intransitive verbal noun. He suggests that Acts 4:9 and Matt. 1:12 might
> also be compared. I would like to know if Wallace's conclusion is
> satisfactory and this passage really is an exception or if it is possible
> that the the passage could be rendered differently than Wallace and all
> translations I have consulted have it.
>
> Timothy Lang
> Wheaton, Illinois

There is no doubt about the meaning "prayer to God". If people cannot sleep
before they get a name for this, then I suggest it could be called "indirect
objective genitive" since the verbal noun implies a ditransitive verb (I
ask/pray to God for something) and the genitive noun corresponds to an
indirect object in the dative case to show the semantic role of recipient. I
have not checked what various grammar books might have named it.

Best wishes,
Iver