[b-greek] Re: Luke 6:12b

From: Kenneth Litwak (javajedi2@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 01:47:46 EDT

   I don't wish to be disingenuous, Carl, but I'm
going to push this a little further, and especially
disagree with Iver's "indirect objective genitive."
He's doing essentially what Wallace seems to be doing:
 the rules don't fit so I'll call it an exceptional
case because I can't otherwise explain it. So Iver
wants to invent a new category of objective genitive
to cover this exception. In calling a case that does
not follow the rules of objective genitives an
"objective genitive," indirect, direct or whatever,
does that not dilute the value of having a category
called the "objective genitive"? The whole point of
being able to call something, say, a dative of means,
is to provide a lable for a known phenomenon that
follows certain rules, e.g., dative case noun/subst.
adj which seems to specify the means by which an
action is done. I'm not in favor of inventing
categories just to cover exceptions, but it is not
valid IMHO to force a construct which violates the
rules for a known category into that category. This
suggests to me that we have not in fact understood the
original writer corectly and perhaps our view of the
genitive case is defective.

    If I may use an analogy, I teach computer
programming, and under certain conditions, students
regularly receive what appears to be a security error.
 That is in fact not what it is and I explain that to
them. If they leave the class thinking that they got
a security exception because the wording of the eror

message seems to suggest that, they are wrong. It's
not a special kind of security error. it is not a
security error at all but an error in the software
that causes an anomolous condition that has nothing to
do with security. They should not call it a security
error if itis in fact not that, and it would not be
valid to try to force it under that heading for want
of a convenient category for such anomolous
conditions. Thanks.

Ken Litwak