Re: [b-greek] Re: Grammatical categories and Luke 6:12b

From: Jonathan Robie (Jonathan.Robie@SoftwareAG-USA.com)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 15:56:45 EDT

At 02:51 PM 7/24/2001 -0400, Mike Sangrey wrote:<br><br>
and make sense of how the infinitive `to go' is functioning.<br><br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; I got to go to the bedroom.<br><br>
And, again, being a fluent English speaker, I can take the following<br>
sentence, too.&nbsp; And it makes sense.<br><br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; I got to go to the bathroom.</blockquote><br>
Nice. Here's a traditional example from Chomsky:<br><br>
Time flies like an arrow.<br>
Fruit flies like a banana.<br><br>
The native speaker grasps the meaning, and knows that &quot;flies&quot; works differently in the two sentences, but does not know why. The native speaker of NT Greek could probably grasp the various meanings of the Genitive, without being able to state them or the rules for differentiating them.<br><br>
Jonathan</html>