[b-greek] Re: p46

From: Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Aug 05 2001 - 08:22:28 EDT

At 01:50 AM 8/5/01 -0400, Michael Buksar wrote:
>I recently found a leave of p46 for viewing from the Chester Beatty
>collection at the Univ. of Mich. library's website. It is part of the first
>chapter of the Letter to the Hebrews. What I need help with is a
>translation for the superscription that appears above pros ebraious. I am
>assuming it is a superscription for Hebrews because it appears below a line
>count for the scribes previous work. Nowhere, including Comfort and
>Barret's work on ancient manuscripts, can I find a reference to this curious
>superscript. It reads as follows: kai lou artos o adelphos---pros
>ebraious. My initial translation is: And bread is purifying. The
>brotherhood(believers) to the Hebrews. I felt the continual/habitual force
>of the imperfect was important. However, can o adelphos be in apposition to
>artos? And bread, namely the brother's, is purifying----to the Hebrews.
>Any input will certainly be appreciated.

The phrase is actually KAI KOUARPTOS hO ADELFOS ("and Quartus the
brother"), with the fourth letter being a kappa, not a lambda, which
does bear some similiarity.

This phrase is not part of the superscription of Hebrews, but is
actually the last part of Romans at 16:23, because P46 places the
doxology of Rom. 16:25-27 after 15:33.

In Comfort and Barrett's first edition, you can see this phrase
on the bottom of page 214.

Stephen Carlson
--
Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@mindspring.com