[b-greek] Re: METANOIA

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 12:59:48 EDT

<x-flowed>
At 16:44 24/08/01, Keith Trump wrote:

>metanoia is used to express a change of action.
>A definate turning from that which is evil to that which is good [see
>Acts3:19 & 26:20]

In both these NT examples, there are _two_ verbs : first, _repent _and
THEN _turn_

>Although this exact word is not used in the LXX

Actually there are 7 occurrences:
Pr 14:15
  Odes of Solomon 12:9 (twice)
  Sir 44:16
  Wis 11:23 ; 12:10 ; 12:19

You will notice that the only reference above which applies to the Hebrew
Bible is in Proverbs -- and this is a subject of dispute cf. the discussion
of this point in the _very_ long article in TDNT

Maurice A. O'Sullivan
[Bray, Ireland]
mauros@iol.ie

" With computers we can now misinterpret Scripture at speeds never before
possible"