[b-greek] Re: Heb. 11:11a

From: Steven R. Lo Vullo (doulos@appleisp.net)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 01:32:04 EDT

on 9/4/01 11:04 PM, Stephen C. Carlson at scarlson@mindspring.com wrote:

>> Heb. 11:11a
>> PISTEI KAI AUTH SARRA DUNAMIN EIS KATABOLHN SPERMATOS ELABE...
>>
>> Can we just add an iota subscript to AUTH and SARRA, since
>> such indications would be absent (assumed) from the earliest writings,
>> and get something like:
>>
>> "By faith he [Abraham] also, together with Sara, received
>> power to beget..."
>>
>> This would take AUTH SARRA as AUTHi SARRAi, and, now as datives,
>> would function as dative of accompaniament.
>
> I don't think so because a bare dative of accompaniment is used
> with verbs that already connote accompanying or following, otherwise
> a preposition such as META would be used. See Smyth §§ 1521-
> 1524 and BDF § 193. In this case, the verb is ELABE and
> does not connote accompaniment.

I can think of at least one exception to the above rule. Rev 8.4 has KAI
ANEBH hO KAPNOS TWN QUMIAMATWN TAIS PROSEUCAIS TWN hAGIWN ("And the smoke of
the incense goes up with the prayers of the saints ..."). Here ANEBH doesn't
indicate accompaniment or following. I must confess, though, that I don't
know how common this usage is. Also, Revelation isn't exactly a blueprint
for proper Greek.
--

Steve Lo Vullo
Madison, WI