[b-greek] RE: Luke 18:11 -- Iver Larsen's suggestion

From: Daniel Riaño (danielrr@eresmas.net)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 18:16:32 EDT

<x-flowed>
>Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>Iver, do you not think that the word-order of hO FARISAIOS STAQEIS TAUTA
>PROS hEAUTON PROSHUCETO makes this questionable? It certainly appears to me
>that PROS hEAUTON is harder to construe with STAQEIS than with PROSHUCETO.
>I don't question at all that PROS + acc. regularly means "near" or
>"at"--but the phrase PROS hEAUTON in the sense of "by himself" still seems
>strange to me; I would expect rather something like MONOS STAQEIS.

        IMO, the word order O( FARISAI=OS STAQEI=S PRO\S E(AUTO\N
TAU=TA PROSHU/CETO is probably the main argument in favour of the
interpretation of STAQEI=S and not PROSHU/CETO, governing PRO\S
E(AUTO\N in Luke. (Luke still places about the 19% of the
prepositional complements of a verb before the verb, but when it does
in main sentences, he seldom places a complement between the CP and
the governing verb. There are, of course, exceptions like 6.44). I
think Iver Larsen has given a nice list of parallels (3.9, 10.39,
22.56 at lest; I am not so sure about the value of the rest) that
reinforces this interpretation. Maybe it was an idiom that nobody has
studied before. I know that it is still perfect syntax and gives
very good meaning to construct the prepositional phrase whit the main
verb, but whenever I come to this sentence, I read PRO\S E(AUTO\N
with STAQEI=S, and then I remember that most interpreters construct
it with PROSHU/CETO...

--
Daniel Riaño Rufilanchas

POR FAVOR, tomad nota de mi nueva dirección de correo: danielrr@eresmas.net