[b-greek] Re: ONTES Eph 4:18 - which participle?

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 12:10:43 EDT

Carl,

Thank you for taking more than 10 minutes. I have now spent more the 10
looking over your post which seems to me a very sound evaluation of the
issue.

on 10/5/01 7:00 AM, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> KAI TA EQNH PERIPATEI EN MATAIOTHTI TOU NOOS AUTWN, 18 ESKOTWMENOI THi
> DIANOIAi ONTES, APHLLOTRIWMENOI THS ZWHS TOU QEOU ...
>
> Well, I've looked at it for more than 10 minutes but haven't read any of
> the commentaries. Quite frankly, I can't see any factor in favor of
> understanding ONTES with APHLLOTRIWMENOI, nor can I see either why it
> matters, since it would be understood in either case.

Yes, agreed. This was my first take on this. Who cares? ONTES doesn't seem
to add much to the meaning of the verse.

 E. Best (Eph. ICC, p418) states: "Periphrastic tenses incorporating perfect
participles serve to emphasize an existing state." He gives the following
references on this: S.E. Porter, Verb Aspect p. 475 and B. Fanning, pp.
416-18, N. Turner p.89, BDR (BDF) #352, Burton #155. I checked all of these
excpet Porter and Fanning (don't have them). Was surprised to find BDF #352
apparently in agreement with John Eadie in joining ONTES with
APHLLOTRIWMENOI. That is what promted me to raise the question.

{snip ... }

> Nevertheless, it seems a more natural way of construing the elements to
> understand BOTH participles in vs. 18 so that ONTES construes primarily
> with ESKOTWMENOI and implicitly--secondarily--with APHLLOTRIWMENOI.

This is similar to the reading in E. Best, who I misrepresented in my first
post. He joins ONTES with both participles.

Thank you Carl for your valuable comments.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point