[b-greek] Re: John 20:16 RABBOUNI

From: Alan B. Thomas (a_b_thomas@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 09:39:40 EDT

Concerning this...

> Text: LEGEI AUTHi IHSOUS: MARIAM. STRAFEISA EKEINH
> LEGEI AUTWi hEBRAISTI:
> RABBOUNI (hO LEGETAI DIDASKALE).
>
> I've been asked off-list whether I don't think that
> "RABBOUNI" is an overly
> stiff and formal term for Mary to use for the Jesus
> whom she only now,
> after he has called her by name, recognizes.

Her response does not appear to be calculated, as with
Thomas', but reflexive, as one who was completely
caught off guard. In fact, could this be taken as
a question... RABBOUNI? Teacher? (Is that really you!)

=====
Sincerely,

Alan B. Thomas

"Unless God provides indisputable, divine evidence of His revelation to mankind,
 it must be rejected at all costs...."