[b-greek] Hebrews 10:14

From: Tom Belt (TGBelt@compuserve.com)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 22:35:14 EDT

Hi all-

I'm on the road with none of my reference materials with me. I'm looking at
Hebrews 10:14 (RSV): "For by a single offering he has perfected for all
time those who are sanctified." The NIV (with NAB and NLT) makes clear the
present participal TOUS hAGIAZOMENOUS as "those being made holy" whereas
the RSV (with others) renders it as a perfect ("those who are sanctified").

Without materials to check on, I can't check into:

a) if there's a variant reading of the participal in a tense other than the
present, or
b) if not, whether the present tense of the participal (being a participal)
is insignificant, i.e., coordinate with the preceding perfect TETELEIWKEN
("made perfect"), and ought to be understood as completed action.

Any comments?

Tom Belt
tgbelt@compuserve.com