[b-greek] Luke 8:9

From: Kenneth Litwak (javajedi2@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 22:48:09 EST

  Luke 8:9 reads:
EPHRWTWN DE AUTON hOI MAQHTAI AUTOU, TIS hAUTH EIH hH
PARABOLH.

   I have two questions. The English translations I
consulted (because I remembered them doing something I
don't think the Greek justifies), read something like
"What this parable means/meant". So
1. EIH is an optative of EIMI and does not mean
"mean" but "be" or "happen" or the like. How can
translation like the NASB or the New Revised Serpent
Versrion (NRSV) justify translating this as
"means/meant'?
2. The punctuation in NA27 treats TIS... as a
statement, like indirect discourse:
"His disciples asked him, what this parable is". Why
should we read this as indirect discourse? Why can't
it be a straightforward question: "His disciples
asked him,"What is this parable?"
Thanks.

Ken Litwak (who is beginning to believe that Dante's
Inferno should be redone to provide a place in
Tartarus for doctoral advisors :-)).