[b-greek] Re: Galatians 2:1

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Nov 22 2001 - 14:27:11 EST

on 11/22/01 9:42 AM, Keith Thompson wrote:

> If Paul had wanted to say 'during/throughout fourteen years' how would
> he have written it? I would expect exactly what's written in Galatians
> 2:1.

Gal 2:1 TR
EPEITA DIA DEKATESSARWN ETWN PALIN ANEBHN EIS IEROSOLUMA META BARNABA

Keith,

Paul would have specified an activity which could have reasonably taken
fourteen years (semantic, top down analysis). The syntax would be more or
less the same.

The issue is semantic not syntactic. It isn't reasonable for Paul and
Barnabas to spend 14 years on a trip to Jerusalem unless their mode of
travel is something out of the ordinary.

If you just do your analysis top down, you will have no problem. Paul wanted
to say that he went up to Jerusalem after a lapse of 14 years, he imposed
this meaning on the DIA + genitive. There isn't anything remarkable about
this. v. Mk 2:1, Acts 24:17

Got to go now and kill the turkey. Wonder if my ax is still sharp.

greetings,

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew