[b-greek] Re: perfect tense in I Cor. 7: 15

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 29 2001 - 13:24:25 EST

At 10:07 AM -0600 11/29/01, Denny A Diehl wrote:
>Carl,
>
>I would like to again receive B-Greek. Also I have a question about
>the perfect tense found in 1 Cor 7:15:
>
>OU DEDOULWTAI
>
>How does the perfect tense work in the negative (OU)? As completed
>action, the perfect stands as a result of the past. In the case of 1 Cor
>7:15
>what would be the past action of OU DEDOULWTAI? Could it mean
>the marriage bond, or would the marriage bond be absolutely not under
>consideration since the force of the perfect is that "you were never
>under bondage" and now you "are not now under bondage"?
>
>Would appreciate your insight into the perfect tense with OU.

As this is an indicative, the OU simply negates the assertion; the force of
the perfect tense is the standard one here, I think: it is stative:
indicates the status now as a consequence of completed action: OU
DEDOULWTAI hO ADELFOS H hH ADELFH EN TOIS TOIOUTOIS. "The brother- or
sister-in-faith does not stand enslaved in such circumstances."

Department of Classics/Washington University (retired)
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu