[b-greek] Re: Lk 18:13; TWi hAMARTWLWi

From: Clwinbery@aol.com
Date: Sun Dec 02 2001 - 11:14:43 EST

The net Bible translates:
18:13 The tax collector, however, stood38 far off and would not even look up39
 to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, be merciful40 to me, sinner
that I am!’41

Note 41 refers to Wallace and makes the point that the prayer emphasizes his
status as a sinner.
 I think such an interpretation depends more on the drama of the parable, the
fact that this is the punch line of the parable, etc than the presence of the
article in the Greek. The main thing that TWi hAMARTWLWi does in this
sentence is put the prayer into a class of people known as sinners. He
certainly is not claiming to be the only sinner but a member of that group
(at least in Luke's mind) that Jesus was often accused of associating with.

Again, I think the key factor here is "identity" and Luke puts this prayer
into a group. I am going to stop with this statement since Harry understands
me and I do not want to start Iver speaking in linquistic tongues again.

Carlton Winbery
Louisiana College