[b-greek] Re: Punctuation query

From: Bryant J. Williams III (bjwvmw@com-pair.net)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 02:46:26 EST

<x-html>
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Punctuation query</TITLE>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>Dear Rodney:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>Try Romans 8:31-35.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>KJV: What shall we then say to these things? If god be for
us, who can be against us? He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up
for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things? Who shall
lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? <EM>It is</EM>&nbsp;God that
justifieth. Who <EM>is</EM> he that condemneth? <EM>It is</EM> Christ that died,
yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also
maketh intercession for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?
<EM>shall</EM> tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or
nakedness, or peril, or sword?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>NIV: What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God
is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him
up for us all - how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all
things? Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God
who justifies. Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died - more than that,
who was raised to life - is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for
us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or
persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>My own translation:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>What shall we say, then, in response to this? If God be
for us, who can be against us? <EM>If</EM> He did not spare His own Son, but
gave Him up for us all, <EM>then</EM>, how will He not also graciously give us
all things along with Him? Who will bring any charge against those who God has
chosen? <EM>Is it</EM> God who declares 'Not guilty?' Who is he that condemns?
<EM>Is it </EM>Christ Jesus who died (rather who was raised to life) who is at
the right hand of God and is also interceding for us? Who shall separate us from
the love of Christ? <EM>Shall trouble, hardship, persecution, famine, nakedness,
danger or sword?</EM></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>I Peter 1:1-2:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>KJV: Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers
scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, Elect
according to the foreknowledge of God the Gather, through sanctification of the
Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto
you, and peace, be multiplied.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>NIV: Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to God's elect,
strangers in the world, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia
and Bithynia, who have be chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the
Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus
Christ and sprinkling by his blood. Grace and peace be yours in
abundance.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>My own translation:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>Peter, <EM>an</EM> Apostle of Jesus Christ to the elect
strangers of the Diaspora of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,
according to the foreknowledge of God the Father by sanctification of the Spirit
for obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ, Grace to you and
Peace be multiplied.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial><EM>En Xpistw, </EM></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial><EM>Rev. Bryant J. Williams III</EM></FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV
  style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B>
  <A href="mailto:rdecker@bbc.edu" title=rdecker@bbc.edu>Decker, Rodney</A>
  </DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A
  href="mailto:b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu"
  title=b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>Biblical Greek</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Monday, December 10, 2001 1:26
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [b-greek] Punctuation
query</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <P><FONT size=2>&nbsp;Could anyone offer an example (or a few such) in which
  the *punctuation* of a NT text (i.e., a punctuation variant) changes the
  meaning? I'm looking for clear examples in which the text could be read
  (legitimately, not humorously!) in at least two different ways depending on
  the way the text is punctuated--and which readings clearly result in a
  different meaning (not just a different emphasis or two different way to say
  essentially the same thing).</FONT></P>
  <P><FONT size=2>The primary impetus for this query is an English teacher's
  query for such an example as she teaches punctuation. I've run across such
  examples before (often involving questions, as I recall--though I'd prefer
  exs. which hinge on a colon vs coma vs period), but I can't pull up any off
  the top of my head at the moment--and I don't have the time to do a lot of
  work tracking it down. Who better to ask, I thought, than the b-greek
  community where such knowledge is readily available?!</FONT></P>
  <P><FONT size=2>============================================</FONT> <BR><FONT
  size=2>Rodney J. Decker, Th.D.</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>Associate
  Prof./NT</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>Baptist Bible Seminary</FONT> <BR><FONT
  size=2>Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2><A
  href="http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/"
  target=_blank>http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/></FONT> <BR><FONT
  home page:
http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek>You are currently subscribed to