[b-greek] re: How much daily reading? a bigger question

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Jan 06 2002 - 17:12:25 EST

on 1/5/02 5:35 PM, Randall Buth wrote:

> 1. "Minimum number of lines": I am in the process of developing guidelines
> for a two-year segment of a program that will take a person to an
> intermediate fluency in Koine Greek. At the moment the expected minimum
> reading figure is 35,000 lines. That figures out to about 350 to 500 lines
> of reading per week, depending on whether vacations are included in the
> reading schedule. On a five-day week that would be 70 to 100 lines per day.

Randall,

Where do you find your students who read "70 to 100 lines per day?"

What do you call reading? I would assume that in new material there will be
on the average two words per line which need to be looked up in a lexicon.
So the lexical work ALONE for 100 lines would be 200 trips to Danker or LSJ.

If your students are mouse clicking their way through an e-text of the GNT
with hyper-linked dictionaries then perhaps it would be possible to get
through a hundred lines a day. Is this what you mean by reading?

When I talk about reading an ancient text I mean careful reading, not quite
what we call a "close reading" but more than just getting through the text
somehow or other. No one is going to do a careful reading of 70 lines of
unfamiliar and difficult Greek in a day.

Would like to meet one of Randall's students. Suspect I would need to dig
out my glacier goggles (for use above 4,000 meters on Mt. Rainier) to
prevent permanent damage to the retinas. I have always wanted to experience
an Angelophany. Do I have to come to Jerusalem or can you send one of them
to Seattle? :-))))))

greetings,

Clay

--