[b-greek] Re: inverse attraction in Rom 6.17?

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 08:32:17 EST

At 1:43 AM -0600 1/22/02, Steven Lo Vullo wrote:
>Hi all:
>
>Another pronoun question!
>
>Rom 6.17: CARIS DE TWi QEWi hOTI HTE DOULOI THS hAMARTIAS hUPHKOUSATE DE
>EK KARDIAS EIS hON PAREDOQHTE TUPON DIDACHS ...
>
>I'm trying to determine the relationship between hON and TUPON.
>According to Wallace, this is a case of "inverse attraction" (p. 339).
>In other words, whereas a relative pronoun will sometimes be attracted
>to the case of its antecedent, in this case (and others) the antecedent
>is attracted to the case of the relative pronoun. This would mean that
>TUPON is actually the object of hUPHKOUSATE, even though hUPHKOUSATE
>would normally take a dative direct object, not an accusative. TUPON is
>accusative because it has been attracted to the case of hON. On the
>other hand, Robertson says that TUPON has been incorporated INTO the
>relative clause. Which is the correct way to understand this
>construction?

This question along with some others was discussed in a short thread in May
of 1999 with subject-header "UPAKOUW + case":

John M. Moe 8:36 AM 5/2/99 UPAKOUW + case?
Carl W. Conrad 3:50 PM 5/2/99 Re: UPAKOUW + case?
Randy Leedy 7:01 AM 5/4/99 Re: UPAKOUW + case?
Carl W. Conrad 12:21 PM 5/4/99 Re: UPAKOUW + case?
Randy Leedy 7:41 AM 5/7/99 Re: UPAKOUW + case?

You can access this in the (current) archives by typing in "1999/05/02" in
the "Jump to Date" box and then clicking the "Jump to Date" button.

As to the question above, I would rather agree with Robertson,
understanding the above as a compressed form of ... hUPHKOUSATE DE EK
KARDIAS EIS TON TUPON DIDACHS EIS hON PAREDOQHTE. This kind of attraction
and sandwiching of a relative clause within a main clause is a construction
of which I've seen more examples in Latin prose and poetry than in Greek.

I'll have something else to say later about the archives and in response to
Tim Friberg's question of a few days ago.