[b-greek] Re: John 1:18

From: Clwinbery@aol.com
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 18:28:35 EST

In a message dated 1/24/02 9:20:24 AM, cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu writes:

>At 6:49 AM -0500 1/24/02, Paul, Doug wrote:
>>In John 1:18 the verse says:
>>
>>QEON OUDEIS hEWRAKEN PWPOTE, MONOGENHS QEOS hO WN EIS TON KOLPON TOU PATROS
>>EKEINOS EXHGHSATO.
>>
>>My question is what more to the statement does the perfect hEWRAKEN bring
>>over simply using the aorist EIDEN?
>
>I'm going to venture a response to this with which others may not agree:
>think that hEWRAKEN conveys pretty much the same semantic content as would
>EIDEN, but that it is more emphatic.
>--
>
>Carl W. Conrad

I agree that this seems more emphatic. I think that it is the combination of
the perfect and PWPOTE that gives that emphasis. The only place in the NT
where I could find the negative PWPOTE and the aorist is Luke 19:30 EF' hON
OUDEIS PWPOTE ANQRWPWN EKAQISEN "upon which no man ever sat." This seems
more to describe a simple fact than to deny an existing result. Compare with
John 8:33 SPERMA ABRAAM ESMEN KAI OUDENI DEDOULEUKAMEN PWPOTE "We are seed
of Abraham and we have never been enslaved to anyone." The combination of
PWPOTE and the perfect to emphasis that this situation has never become a
reality.

Carlton Winbery
Louisiana College