[b-greek] Re: I Cor. 7.15b

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 15:44:38 EST

At 3:23 PM -0500 1/25/02, Marc McDermott wrote:
>Hello, everyone. I have a question regarding 1 Corinthians 7.15, and yes,
>I am asking because this passage is relevant to my own life. I need
>guidance, and since I am not a Greek scholar, I must ask you. Here it is:
>Can 1 Cor. 7.15b be construed as an imperative? In other words, can it be
>translated as such: "Do not become enslaved in such matters, for God has
>called us to peace"? Thanks for any help you can give me.
>
>[Marc McDermott: New list-members please note that BG Protocol
>requires a full-name signature to be appended to messages sent
>to the list.]

The text: EI DE hO APISTOS CWRIZETAI, CWRIZESQW: OU DEDOULWTAI hO ADELFOS H
hH ADELFH EN TOIS TOIOUTOIS; EN DE EIRHNHi KEKLHKEN hUMAS hO QEOS.

The only imperative here is CWRIZESQW ("Let him go his own way/separate").
the second half of the verse is not an imperative but an assertion: "The
brother (= believer) does not stand enslaved nor does the sister in such
circumstances." It might be paraphrased, "A believer, man or woman, is not
subject to servile constraints in such circumstances."