[b-greek] Re: Looking for examples of "arche' as "origin"

From: Edward Otte (edotte@optonline.net)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 19:09:23 EST

If I may ask another question as I am not the best at grammar in English
let alone Koine Greek:

Based on this subject of 'arch' as "source" I have done some reading,
mostly in the Apostolic Fathers, and found what I feel is a good example.
I was looking for an example that was similar to Revelation 3:14 where
'arch' leads the genitive phrase. In the Epistle of Polycarp to the
Philippians paragraph four first sentence: "But the love of money is the
beginning of all troubles." The Greek here is "'arch de pantwn calepwn
philargria." My edition of the Apostolic Fathers cites 1 Tim. 6:10 as a
cross reference here. My question is if this citation is with "beginning"
leading a genitive phrase like Rev. 3:14. Also is this a good example of
'arch' as "source" or origin"?

Also I found four other examples of 'arch' in the LXX which may also be
applicable. They are Proverbs 8:22, 23, 9:10 and 1:7. Do any of these
carry the same notion of source and or agency? Thanks

Edward [Otte -- New list-members please note that BG List protocol
requires a full-name signature to be appended to all messages
sent to the list.]