[b-greek] 1 Thess 5:10

From: Iver Larsen (iver_larsen@sil.org)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 15:39:15 EST

Thank you very much to those who responded to my query on 1 Tim 2:7. There
was no clear preference for option 1 or 2, and some wanted to sit on the
fence saying both. But I am happy that there were several who supported
option 2 which is my preference. I am not sure there is something which can
properly be termed "dative of content" and I could not find "content" as a
sense listed in BAGD for the preposition EN. The closest I could find was
"in reference to".

Now I have another query. These are relevant for the translation I am
working on.

1 Thess 5:10 says
hINA EITE GRHGORWMEN EITE KAQEUDWMEN hAMA SUN AUTWi ZHSWMEN.

My question is about the sense of the two verbs. Let me suggest
alternatives:
Does GRHGOREW here mean
1) be literally awake
2) be watchful, alert, spiritually awake
3) be physically alive

Does KAQEUDW here mean
1) be literally asleep
2) be dull, spiritually asleep
3) be physically dead

I could look the words up in the dictionary, which I have. But I have
reasons to be suspicious of the dictionaries for this particular instance,
because they suggest a sense for these two words in this particular context
that is different from the senses attested in all other occurrences of the
same words in the GNT. It is implied in the context of 1 Thess 5:10 that the
two verbs refers to the time/event of the parousia.

Your preference? (Preferably with lexical and contextual reasons.)
Thanks,
Iver Larsen