[b-greek] Re: A question on punctuation

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 12:02:01 EST

<x-flowed>
At 22:10 31/01/02, Peter Osborne. wrote:

>I have a question related to punctuation of the Greek New Testament. I have
>a United Bible Societies GNT.

If so, I would recommend strongly that you also equip yourself with:
Metzger, Bruce M. A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament. London:
U.B.S, 1975.
( and revised 2nd edition later )

> The right question might be, did the original Greek text have any
> punctuation at
>all?

You might like to think a bit about that phrase " the original " -- what do
you consider an "original" text to be? The author's manuscript, the
uncorrected printers' proofs, the corrected printers' proofs, the first
edition, the corrected second edition, ............
I jest, of course, but only in the interests of making you think a bit more
about your question <g>

To see what a fourth/fifth century, and later, manuscript looks like, go to
(yet another) Metzger book:
Metzger, Bruce M. Manuscripts of the Greek Bible. An Introduction to
Palaeography. Oxford: O.U.P, 1981.

Or connect to:
http://NTGateway.com/resource/image.htm
[ This is just a small part of Mark Goodacre's excellent NT Gateway site.

http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/bibel.html#pap

http://faculty.bbc.edu/RDecker/links.htm#MSS_Photos

http://www.stolaf.edu/people/kchanson/johnpap.html gives you:
Papyrus 52 (Jn. 18:31-33; the earliest known NT papyrus MS; contains
         transl. & notes by K. C. Hanson);

Best of all, though, to get an understanding of the _entire_ process that
gave us these texts consult:
Gamble, Harry Y. Books and Readers in the Early Church: A History of Early
Chrisian Texts. New Haven Yale U.P, 1995.

Regards
Maurice

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie