[b-greek] Re: Acts 22:16

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 06:22:30 EST

At 3:11 AM +0000 2/4/02, Mark Wilson wrote:
>KAI NUN TI MELLEIS ANASTAS BAPTISAI KAI APOLOUSAI TAS hAMARTIAS SOU
>EPIKALESAMENOS TO ONOMA AUTOU
>

>Can someone sort out the order of events here?
>
>>Arise
> > have yourself baptized
> > have your sins washed
> > having called on his name
>
>Should we understand EPIKALESAMENOS TO ONOMA AUTOU
>as the first item in this series?
>
>Something like... "Having called on his name, (you) arise..."

Mark, the aorist participle does not ALWAYS indicate action PRIOR to that
of the main verb. In this case we have TWO aorist ptcs: ANASTAS prior to
those imperatives and EPIKALESAMENOS after them. And note that the
imperatives are themselves aorists too. You could understand the word-order
thus: "Up! Get yourself baptized and wash away your sins by calling upon
His name!"