[b-greek] Re: Titus 1:12 and Hymn to Zeus?

From: Steven Lo Vullo (doulos@merr.com)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 00:59:17 EST

on 2/11/02 10:47 PM, Michael Watson at 1watson2@open.org wrote:

> To anyone with some classical Greek:
> I'm trying to find a resource for the line quoted by Paul in Titus 1:12
> which reads:
>
> EIPEN TIS EC AUTOWN IDIOS AUTOWN PROFHTHS
> "KRHTES AEI PSEUSTAI, KAKA QHRIA, GASTERES ARGAI"
>
> I've searched the b-greek archives and a number of online resources
> without
> satisfying results. I've been led to think that it's written by
> Callimachus in the 'Hymn to Zeus' but I haven't been able to verify it.
> Thanks in advance.

Mike:

I think this is from Epimenides of Knossos (6th-5th century B.C.), who was
held in honor on Crete as a poet, prophet, and religious reformer. According
to the Anchor Bible Dictionary, "The Cretan poet Epimenides (ca. 600 B.C.)
describes all Cretans as 'liars, evil brutes, and lazy gluttons' (quoted
both in Titus 1:12 and Acts 17:28). This characterization is found in
several ancient sources, e.g., Livy Epit. Per. 44:45; Callimachus Jov. 8;
and Plutarch Aem 23." Robertson says, "'Their own prophet.' Self-styled
'prophet' (or poet), and so accepted by the Cretans and by Cicero and
Apuleius, that is Epimenides who was born in Crete at Cnossos. It is a
hexameter line and Callimachus quoted the first part of it in a Hymn to
Zeus." HTH

Steven Lo Vullo
Madison, WI