[b-greek] RE: Romans 2:9

From: Iver Larsen (iver_larsen@sil.org)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 05:32:54 EST

> QLIYIS KAI STENOCWRIA *EPI* PASAN YUCHN ANQRWPOU
> TOU KATERGAZOMENOU TO KAKON
> IOUDAIOU TE PRWTON KAI hELLHNOS
>
> What does PRWTON modify here?
>
> Is IOUDAIOU adjectival or adverbial?
>
> Mark Wilson

Yes, this is fairly parallel to 1:16. I have added the preposition EPI which
accidentally was omitted by the scribe, Mark Wilson (no problem, this
happens all the time).

Greek has a capacity to express events through noun phrases and prepositions
that English does not have.
Let me use some letters:
X=QLIYIS
Y=STENOCWRIA
Z1=PASAN YUCHN ANQRWPOU
Z2=TOU KATERGAZOMENOU TO KAKON
Z3=IOUDAIOU TE PRWTON KAI hELLHNOS

Z2 is a genitive phrase modifying ANQRWPOU, corresponding to a relative
clause in English (who are doing evil). Grammatically, I would call it an
apposition in Greek.
Z3 is a further genitive phrase in apposition to ANQRWPOU and further
modifying Z1+Z2. It would not correspond to a relative clause in English
since there is no definite article or relative pronoun, but an explanation
(that is, first to the Jew and (then) to the Gentile).

So the whole verbless clause "X and Y upon Z1,Z2,Z3" means that Z1, further
described by Z2 and Z3, will experience X and Y.

With this analysis I would again say that PRWTON modifies the implied event:
It will first happen to the Jew and then to the Gentile. That also means
that PRWTON as far as I can see does not modify any word in the sentence,
but it modifies the verb which is not explicit, but clearly understood
through the context, the semantic content of X and Y, and the preposition
EPI.

Iver Larsen