[b-greek] Re: Mt 15.27 and Mk 7:26

From: Iver Larsen (iver_larsen@sil.org)
Date: Sat Feb 23 2002 - 10:59:51 EST

> Notice that this whole discussion of the words used by Jesus and
> the woman
> presupposes that the conversation took place in Greek. A completely valid
> assumption, in my judgement, but let's make it explicit. The parallel in
> Mark 7:26 tells us she was a Syro-Phoenician by ethnic race, and
> a hELLHNIS - which tells us her culture, and the language she spoke.

Does it? It is an interesting assumption.
Alternatively, one could assume that hELLHNIS here means non-Jew. She may
have spoken Greek, but I do not know enough about the language situation in
the region of Tyre and Sidon at the time to discard the option that she
spoke the trade language Aramaic (called SURISTI in Greek) which Jesus
certainly knew and spoke.

I am sure others know more about the extent of the use of Aramaic as a trade
language at that time than I do. It would be interesting to know.

Iver Larsen