[b-greek] Question on LXX Proverbs 3:6

From: bwmeyers@earthlink.net
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 07:30:33 EST

My copy of the Septuagint renders Proverbs 3:6 as

EN PASAIS hODOIS SOU GNWRIZE AUTHN hINA ORQOTOMHi
TAS hODOUS SOU hO DE POUS SOU OU MH PROSKOPTHi
[transcription altered to conventional B-Greek transliteration; please
do not paste Greek text into messages sent to the list: it will appear
as gobbledygook on a user's screen unless a user has that font in
his/her system]

"In all thy ways acquaint thyself with her, that she may rightly
direct thy paths."

But the only possible antecedent for "her" that I can see is GOD, in
vs. 5. It seems most unusual that God would be referred to in the
feminine (maybe Isa. 31:5 is an example?).

Is this some corruption, or is there some other explanation? Could it
be referring to WISDOM, as in Prov. 8? How would one know, from the
immediate context?

Bob [Meyers -- new list-members please note that BG Protocol
requires a full-name signature appended to all messages sent
to the list.]