[b-greek] Re: EIS POU?

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 08:26:26 EST

At 1:44 PM +0100 2/26/02, Wieland Willker wrote:
>Regarding Mk 10:30
>>> Clement quotes (cited from R. Swanson):
>>> APOLHMYETAI EKATONTAPLASIONA NUN DE EN TW KAIRW TOUTW
>>> AGROUS KAI CRHMATA KAI OIKIAS KAI ADELFOUS ECEIN META
>>> DIWGMWN EIS POU; EN DE TW ERCOMENW ZWHN ESTIN AIWNIOS.
>>>
>>> Questions:
>>> 1. How is the META DIWGMWN to be interpreted in Mk?
>>> 2. What does the EIS POU in Clement mean?
>>
>> [Mark DelCogliano:]
>> 1. I would say that the prepositional phrase functions adverbially
>> (obviously) and that it has a concessive force ("though not without
>> persecutions, albeit with persecutions," etc . A sort of after-the-fact
>> disclaimer after the hundredfold is promised.
>

>Would it be possible to put a period after EKATONTAPLASIONA, with the
>following meaning:
>
>"Truly I tell you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters
>or mother or father or children or fields, for my sake and for the sake of
>the good news, who will not receive a hundredfold.
>Now in this age to have houses, brothers and sisters, mothers and children,
>and fields with persecutions? For what? In the age to come life is eternal!"

Is there an interrogation mark after EIS POU? The chief problem with this
suggestion is that ZWHN can't very well be the subject of ESTIN--even if
AIWNIOS could be the predicate of Hh ZWH. How about reading it with
implicit parenthetical patches: ... META DIWGMWN--EIS POU?--EN DE TWi
ERCOMENWi ZWHN--(ZWH) ESTIN AIWNIOS. But it seems a lot easier to assume
there's textual corruption here than to hypothesize something this
fantastic.