[b-greek] RE: Mat 26:75 and Mat 27:8

From: Iver Larsen (iver_larsen@sil.org)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 04:09:32 EST

> l. Mat 26:75
> KAI EMNHSQH hO PETROS TOU hRHMATOS IHSOU
> EIRHKOTOS OTI PRIN ALEKTORA FWNHSAI TRIS
> APARNHSHi ME:
>
> Is there some grammatical reason that TRIS must modify APARNHSHi
> and not FWNHSAI? Of course, in this case the context makes it
> obvious, but in a different context, might the TRIS modify a preceding
> verb rather than a following one?

While Carl has answered the second question with a yes, the answer to the
first question would be no, at least if you say "must". There is a clear
preference for a numeral to precede what it modifies but it is matter of
emphasis and therefore not a strict grammatical rule as the parallel passage
shows. The fact that a numeral is even mentioned indicates some focus on the
exact number of times, and this focus suggests that the numeral should be
"up front". In Mark I expect that the DIS follows the crowing because the
crowing is more important than the DIS.
If you are ready to accept a statement like "most prominent elements are
ordered first" as a grammatical rule, then I would answer: yes, there is
some grammatical reason. It depends on how you define grammar as compared to
pragmatics.

> 2. Mat 27:8
>
> DIO EKLHQH hO AGROS EKEINOS AGROS hAIMATOS
> hEWS THS SHMERON
>
> The information pop-up (in Logos) says that SEMERON is an adverb,
> and so does BAGD. So what's with the article? I note several
> instances cited in BAGD where SEMERON has an article, but I can't
> find anything to explain it. Wallace might well cover it, but I can't
> guess where from the Table of Contents. Maybe someone with a
> paper copy can refer me?

Acts 20:26 has EN THi SEMERON hHMERAi

SEMERON functions in the slot where we would normally expect an adjective.
But one of the differences between adjectives and adverbs is that adverbs
are indeclinable. So, SEMERON is put in the class of adverbs. It normally
functions as other adverbs, but it can also function like an adjective.
hHMERA is one of those nouns that are often left implicit.

Iver Larsen