[b-greek] Re: EIS in Acts 2:39

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 07:09:34 EST

I don't disagree with anything substantive Iver has said on this question;
I only want to clarify/expand one little item about the phrase TOIS MAKRAN:

At 9:31 AM +0100 3/6/02, Iver Larsen wrote:
>3) PASIN TOIS EIS MAKRAN (TOPON/CRONON?) - all the (people) (who are) up to
>a far away (place/time?)

It's quite true that adverbial expressions can, as here, be substantivized,
also true that such substantivized adverbial expressions can, as here, be
elliptical, i.e. implicitly contain elements that are usually not made
explicit. The implicit elements here, I think (in angular brackets) are:
PASIN TOIS EIS MAKRAN <hODON OUSIN> -- the participle of EIMI is usually
implicit in such expressions, and when the adverbial expression includes a
feminine adjective such as MAKRAN here, one may usually expect that to
imply a feminine noun, in this instance hODON, "way," "journey," "road." At
any rate, with the feminine MAKRAN one could NOT expect a masculine
noun-form such as TOPON or CRONON to be implicit.