[b-greek] RE: About learning Greek

From: Erik Westwig (ewestwig@palisade.com)
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 09:33:43 EST

Peter

I am a beginner, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I have many of the same problems you mention with my Greek grammar. I have
a lot of trouble retaining it. But I have been far more successful with
vocabulary. My #1 trick is to substitute Greek words in my English
sentences as I am talking. It doesn't really take up any more of your study
time because you can do it while you are doing other things. For example,
when I clean the kitchen, I talk to myself. I say, "POTERIOV" as I pick up a
cup to wash. Or, "PIVW" as I take a drink of "hUDWR". If I open a door, I
say "QURA". And on and on. I know it sounds a little ridiculous, and I
think it might be driving my wife crazy, but it has worked well for me. It
is very noun and verb oriented, and it doesn't help as much with the more
abstract words and concepts, but my vocabulary for everyday things and
actions has improved quite a bit since I started doing this.

Erik Westwig
Software Engineer
Palisade Corporation