[b-greek] 1 Cor. 11:24-25

From: Rob Matlack (united_by_truth@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 19:36:49 EST

I Corinthians 11:24-25 from the Byzantine text states:
24 KAI EUCARISTHSAS EKLASE KAI EIPE LABETE FAGETE TOUTO MOU ESTI TO SWMA TO
hUPER hUMWN KLWMENON TOUTO POIEITE EIS THN EMHN ANAMNHSIN 25 hWSAUTWS KAI TO
POTHRION META TO DEIPNHSAI LEGWN TOUTO TO POTHRION hH KAINH DIAQHKH ESTIN EN
TW EMWi hAIMATI TOUTO POIEITE hOSAKIS AN PINHTE EIS THN EMHN ANAMNHSIN

Is the prepositional phrase META TO DEIPNHSAI in v 25 related to TO POTHRION
or to hWSAUTWS? In other words did He, in a similar manner to the way He had
taken the bread, take the cup, the cup which happened to be the cup that
came after the meal, or as He had taken the bread after the meal He so also
after the meal took the cup? It seems to me most natural to take it the
first way with META TO DEIPNHSAI as related to TO POTHRION. The word order
seems to support this. Taken just from this passage, if taken in this way,
this would allow for the bread to be broken at the beginning of the meal,
would it not?

If anyone has any thought on the order of events of the Lord’s last Passover
I would be interested in hearing your comments off-list. Thanks.

Rob Matlack united_by_truth@yahoo.com
Minneapolis, KS
"I can only say that I am nothing but a poor sinner, trusting in Christ
alone for salvation"--R. E. Lee
"It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on
it's behalf."--Blaise Pascal