[b-greek] Re: About learning Greek

From: Chuck Tripp (ctripp@ptialaska.net)
Date: Sun Mar 10 2002 - 23:20:59 EST

> "Vocabulary and cards..." would you mind clarifying this please?

The goal I guess is this: to think in greek as you read it rather than doing
simultaneous translation. When I first started in this, I managed to get a
hold of little flash cards to pick up basic vocabulary, e.g. KURIOS=Lord,
ERXOMAI= I come, etc.Which is o.k. I guess to get started. There is a
limitation though and it is this: greek kind of becomes english by another
name. It's not so bad when you are dealing with nouns and fairly straight
forward verbs, but when you get into some of the particles and the words
that tie greek syntax together, it kind of breaks down in my opinion. It
has taken me the longest time to sort out those word which don't seem to be
doing anything in a sentence. They only begin to make sense to me if I am
thinking in greek.

Now I write out my own 'flash cards' but with a difference. First off, I
use the 3x5 cards (I used to cut them into 4 pieces but there was not enough
room for all the information I wanted to include). When I encounter a new
word that I think is worth remembering, in addition doing the standard
looking up of the word, i'll write the sentence in which I found it. If the
word is a composite, i'll look up the base word without the prefix so I get
a sense of how the prefix changes the meaning of the root word. I'll look
up several of the noun and adjectives (if it is a verb) and write that down.
So in the end I sometimes fill my card and even go onto the back.

Here is an example:

I ran into the word AIXMALWTOS in Herodotus 1.129. I am pretty sure it
appears in the LXX. If I were simply making a simple flash card I would
have just written 'taken captive' or 'captive' and forgotten the word. But
AIXMH, a related word, means the 'point of a spear.' AIXMALWTOS then should
bring to mind the mental image of someone being lead away at the point of a
spear, not the image of the letters C-A-P-T-I-V-E. So I wrote AIXMH as
well.

Here's another one:

STIZW. Ran into that in Hdt 5.6. Mark with a tattoo. Usually a sign of
disgrace. Looking up and down the from STIZW, I noticed STIGMA: a tattoo
mark. I know that word, stigma in english. I wrote STIGMA down too on my
card.

Here is a third example:

Ran into ARAOMAI, in Hdt 1.132. Definition: pray to a god, curse vow.
"...ARASQAI AGAQA..." in Hdt 1.132. Looked up and found ARA, hH. Prayer,
vow, curse. Second definition: Godess of destruction and revenge. O.K. I
am thinking that this word originally meant to call on ARA the godess of
destruction and would properly mean a curse but the word could in a generic
sense mean to pray. Upon further looking I find that KATARA, (KATA+ARA) is
the common word in LXX and GNT for curse. Makes sense, KATARA would be a
more intense version of ARA.

All this helps me to know the word in a greek context as opposed to the
context of a 21 centure english speaker. You would not want to this with
every word though, pick your battles.

Chuck Tripp
Kodiak, Alaska