[b-greek] 1 Cor. 1:30

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 19:41:01 EST

<x-flowed>

EX AUTOU DE hUMEIS ESTE EN CRISTWi IHSOU
hOS EGENHQH hHMIN SOFIA APO QEOU
DIKAIOSUNH TE KAI hAGIASMOS KAI APOLUTRWSIS

[The NET Bible translates this verse:]
He is the reason you have a relationship with Christ Jesus, who became for
us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification and redemption,

What is the sense of EX AUTOU? There seems to be an
unusal play on words here in that we are both EX and EN Christ.

To whom do DIKAIOSUNH TE KAI hAGIASMOS KAI APOLUTRWSIS
refer? Do they modify hUMEIS (EN CRISTWi), or hOS -> CRISTWi?

If these can modify hUMEIS, I would English it:

He is the reason you have a relationship with
Christ Jesus -- who became for us wisdom from God ---
and righteousness and sanctification and redemption,

Namely, you have relationship with X, righteousness, sanctification...

Thank you,

Mark Wilson