[b-greek] Re: 1 Cor. 1:30

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 11:40:10 EST

At 12:41 AM +0000 3/22/02, Mark Wilson wrote:
>EX AUTOU DE hUMEIS ESTE EN CRISTWi IHSOU
>hOS EGENHQH hHMIN SOFIA APO QEOU
>DIKAIOSUNH TE KAI hAGIASMOS KAI APOLUTRWSIS
>
>[The NET Bible translates this verse:]
>He is the reason you have a relationship with Christ Jesus, who became for
>us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification and redemption,
>
>What is the sense of EX AUTOU? There seems to be an
>unusal play on words here in that we are both EX and EN Christ.

In view of the immediately preceding 29 (hOPWS MH KAUCHSHTAI PASA SARX
ENWPION TOU QEOU), I think it has to be GOD.

>To whom do DIKAIOSUNH TE KAI hAGIASMOS KAI APOLUTRWSIS
>refer? Do they modify hUMEIS (EN CRISTWi), or hOS -> CRISTWi?
>
>If these can modify hUMEIS, I would English it:
>
>He is the reason you have a relationship with
>Christ Jesus -- who became for us wisdom from God ---
>and righteousness and sanctification and redemption,
>
>Namely, you have relationship with X, righteousness, sanctification...

On the contrary, I think that DIKAIOSUNH TE KAI hAGIASMOS KAI APOLUTRWSIS,
inasmuch as they are nominative, must be construed with EGENHQH as
additional subjects. I think NET has it right: Christ Jesus became all
these things "for us."