[b-greek] Re: Philippians 1:27

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Sat Mar 23 2002 - 19:20:04 EST

<x-html>
<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>In a message dated 3/23/2002 5:44:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, slovullo@mac.com writes:
<BR>
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">
<BR>EITE ... EITE are coordinating correlative conjunctions, forming a "whether
<BR>... or" construction. It seems most natural that the participle APWN is
<BR>introduced by the second EITE, not the verb AKOUW, since the first EITE
<BR>clause features two participles (ELQWN and IDWN). APWN is contrasted with
<BR>ELQWN and IDWN. In light of this, my first impulse is to ask, "In what way
<BR>does AKOUW go with APWN?" If we take seriously the symmetry of the EITE
<BR>clauses, and conclude that the second introduces APWN, then how could we
<BR>explain a subordinate participle construed with a finite verb to which it is
<BR>NOT subordinate (APWN with AKOUW)? Seems like a stretch to me. It is far
<BR>more natural to understand all three participles a subordinate to AKOUW. And
<BR>how common is it for a purpose clause introduced by hINA to have no explicit
<BR>verb? I would think it is not very common at all.
<BR>________________________</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>
<BR>I think that the emphasis upon the structure EITE . . . EITE is correct. &nbsp;What we have here is
<BR>
<BR>EITE ELQWN KAI IDWN . . . EITE APWN AKOUW
<BR>
<BR>It may seem a bit strange to have two participles paralleling a participle and a finite verb. &nbsp;AKOUW is not the expected verb to complete the purpose clause. &nbsp;The purpose clause continues on to include the result introduced by hOTI with the purposed result that STHKETE "you may stand . . ."
<BR>
<BR>gfsomsel &nbsp;</FONT>
---<BR>
B-Greek home page: http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek>
You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: [
jwrobie@mindspring.com]<BR>