[b-greek] FW: 2 Thess. 2:3

From: Paul O. Wendland (wendlanp@wls.wels.net)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 01:05:26 EST

Mark:
> 2:2
> EIS TO MH TACEWS SALEUQHNAI hUMAS APO TOU NOOS,
> MHTE QROEISQAI MHTE DIA PNEUMATOS
> MHTE DIA LOGOU MHTE DI' EPISTOLHS hWS DI' hHMWN
> hWS hOTI ENESTHKEN hH hHMERA TOU CRISTOU
>
> 2:3
> MH TIS hUMAS EXAPATHSHi KATA MHDENA TROPON
> hOTI EAN MH ELQHi Hh APOSTASIA PRWTON
> KAI APOKALUFQHi hO ANQRWPOS TAS hAMARTIAS
> hO hUIOS THS APWLEIAS
>
> According to an article I read this weekend,
> the apodosis that needs to be supplied from
> verse 2 for verse 3 should be:
>
> "the Day of the Lord is not present"

If the thought is: You're supposing (from some communication purportedly
from me or from St. Elsewhere) that the Day of Christ has come. Don't let
anyone deceive you in any way, because:

[OU GINHSETAI] EAN MH ELQHi hH APOSTASIA PRWTON--it won't happen unless the
rebellion (you all know about) comes first.

No matter what argument you use for supplying what's missing in an ellipse,
it's always going to be an argument from silence (naturally). So it seems
to me simplest is best. Isn't that what Occam said? OU GINESETAI works, or
something similar. "The day of the Lord is not present" just seems odd.

Paul

Paul O. Wendland
11812 N. Seminary Drive #65W
Mequon WI 53092