[b-greek] Re: transliteration

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Mar 29 2002 - 12:05:02 EST

on 3/29/02 4:25 AM, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> The list seemed to dawn on me last night (unless it was a greater
> darkness!): what this whole thing of wanting to copy and paste a Greek text
> into an ASCII message is about. It appears to me that it may be about the
> difficulty of WRITING Greek text. .

Carl,

I do not agree with this. The problem for me is just typing and errors and
time. Same reason we have e-lexicons. I have noted a large increase of
quoting lexicons by cut and paste on the list since they have become
available in e-texts. I have transcribed several complete books of the GNT
by hand and 1,000s of lines of Classical. No big deal writing Greek.

Typing the text is not an analytical activity, it is a clerical activity.
Some of us do not like to spend our time being scribes. That went out with
Gutenberg.

greetings,

Clay

--