[b-greek] Re: Galatians 2:16 EAN MH

From: Steven Lo Vullo (slovullo@mac.com)
Date: Fri Mar 29 2002 - 17:10:52 EST

on 3/29/02 3:28 PM, Steven Lo Vullo at slovullo@mac.com wrote:

> The context, as you seem to concede in your above comments, clearly does not
> support your rendering, "A man will not be justified by the works of the law
> unless it is on the basis of faith in Christ." Indeed, the rest of this very
> sentence rules out any such idea: KAI hHMEIS EIS CRISTON IHSOUN
> EPISTEUSAMEN, hINA DIKAIWQWMEN EK PISTEWS CRISTOU KAI *OUK* EX ERGWN NOMOU,
> hOTI EX ERGWN NOMOU *OU* DIKAIWQHSETAI *PASA* SARX. Yet you seem to indicate
> that a subordinate clause MUST modify the entire matrix clause. It seems to
> me that this is a case of a presuppositional rule overriding the evidence,
> rather than the evidence supporting the rule. If the syntactical evidence
> does not neatly fit the rule, I think the rule should, at the very least, be
> revised. Not only that, but, if we concede that there is an ellipsis that
> needs to be filled (and I'm not sure there is), there is more than one way
> to understand how and where it should be filled. The following makes more
> sense in the context:
>
> OU DIKAIOUTAI ANQRWPOS EX ERGWN NOMOU
>
> [OU DIKAIOUTAI ANQRWPOS] EAN MH DIA PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU
>
> This is in keeping with the apparently causal sense of the particpial clause
> and its relationship to the main verb (EPISTEUSAMEN) and the purpose (hINA)
> and causal (hOTI) clauses that further modify it.

Just a clarification of the above. DIKAIOUTAI must also be understood in the
conditional clause (EAN MH [DIKAIOUTAI] DIA PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU). I wasn't
suggesting that the ellipsis I propose above should take the place of this
one, only that it could be inferred in order to understand the proper
relationship of the conditional clause.

Steven Lo Vullo
Madison, WI
slovullo@mac.com